Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich256

Default Old Solder

"Rich256" wrote in message

"Bubba" ReMoVe wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 16:50:48 -0600,
wrote:

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 21:51:18 GMT, CJT wrote:

Phillip944 wrote:

I'll admit it... I've never soldered anything in my life. So, to
replace a corroded, leaky copper elbow joint, my father-in-law
instructed me to heat the pipe, pull off the old joint, then replace
it... after proper preparation, of course.

The problem is that I heated the old elbow, but nothing happened. I
heated the pipe & the elbow... nothing. Couldn't get it off.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as I dread the cost of
having a plumber do what seems to be a simple replacement.

I'd cut it off. BTW, make sure you buy lead-free plumbing solder and
some plumber's flux for the re-installation.

If you'd cut it off, your last name must be Bobbitt !!!

OUCH !!!!

Let me get this straight. You want to do your own plumbing yet you
cant even figure out how to unsolder an elbow? If you cant figure that
out, how on earth do you think you are going to get it back together
correctly? Here is a simple clue:
It is a WATER pipe. I wonder what is in it?
Bubba

Aw, give him a break. We all had to learn some time or other. First time

did a solder job I had to learn a few things. First time I replaced
distributor points in a car engine it took me two hours to get it running
again. After I figured out just what I was doing and why I could eyeball
them

And then there was the time when a tiny amount of water kept me from getting
the joint hot. I guess about that time someone pointed out the old plumbers
trick of stuffing some bread into the pipe to absorb the water.