Posted to alt.home.repair
Ross Mac

Default Blown fuse

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
news:VUOmf.89008$Gd6.17137@pd7tw3no...
R. Gregg Reed wrote:
Someone gave me a 27" TV because it wouldn't work, so I took it home and
opened it up, hoping it would be something easy. I found a blown fuse,
which I'm hoping is the only problem. The fuse says 5MF5A125V, which I
assume means 5 amps 125 volts, but I don't know what the 5MF means. Any
ideas? Thanks.

Hi,
Just find physically matching 5 amp fast blow fuse and try it. 27" analog
TV ain't precision high tech stuff. If it blows again, try slow blow type
one more time and if it blows too there is something wrong with circuitry,
most likely on the power supply/regulator area.
I'd clean the dust off first.
Tony

Just a tip here....take a good look at the fuse, assuming it is glass, and
if it is very black inside I wouldn't bother replacing it since most likely
10 times the rated current flowed and there is definitely a short. If there
is just a small separation in the element then perhaps it just separated
from contraction / expansion and replacing it most likely won't continue to
do additional damage such as removing the traces from the circuit board.
Now, if it's black inside you probably have, like Tony suggested, a short in
the power supply such as the bridge or regulator. This would be very simple
and most likely cheap to repair. Haul it down to the local repair shop and
get a quote. If it's a basket case, which I doubt, you lost nothing
otherwise it will probably be a minimum shop charge. Good Luck ....Ross