Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Cavanagh

Default Heatilator unit in fireplace.

Unwelcome but not wholly unexpected responses, back to the drawing board I
guess. Thanks for the input.

Tom
"John DeBoo" wrote in message
. ..
Tom Cavanagh wrote:
I'm contemplating doing a mantelpiece to replace a really ugly thing that
I've presently got. The problem is that the one I'm thinking of as a
replacement (an arts and crafts type done by Mario Rodriguez in FWW a
couple of years ago) would require me to cover the outlet vents from the
Heatilator unit. It doesn't really put out that much heat, The unit is
at least 30 years old and is not very efficient but the cumulative effect
of blocking it off might put the temperature to a not desirable
(dangerous) point.

Any thoughts on this, and I realize this might not be the place to be
asking?
TIA for any input.

Tom Cavanagh

Heatilator, wow, have not heard that term in years. My dad had one built
in our fireplace when I was a kid over 40 years ago. It was built in
behind arizona sandstone and had 2 fans under the hearth to suck in the
cold air and blow hot air out the top. Excremely efficient and heated to
20x30 LR fast and furious. The fans died and he died but my mom still
uses it w/o them. I'd suggest you do not cover them as the built up heat
has got to have some place to go. A little innovation and I think you'll
come up with a great looking idea to change the face but keep the vents.
John