Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Cavanagh

Default Heatilator unit in fireplace.

I'm contemplating doing a mantelpiece to replace a really ugly thing that
I've presently got. The problem is that the one I'm thinking of as a
replacement (an arts and crafts type done by Mario Rodriguez in FWW a couple
of years ago) would require me to cover the outlet vents from the Heatilator
unit. It doesn't really put out that much heat, The unit is at least 30
years old and is not very efficient but the cumulative effect of blocking it
off might put the temperature to a not desirable (dangerous) point.

Any thoughts on this, and I realize this might not be the place to be
asking?
TIA for any input.

Tom Cavanagh

Posted to rec.woodworking
Charley

Don't block the vents. If you do you will risk trouble. Heatilator units
need air circulation to keep the metal fire box from overheating. If you
don't cause a fire you will likely destroy the metal fire box.

I've seen some clever mantlepiece designs where the ugly metal registers
were replaced with wooden louvers that blended in the design and made too
look less obvious. Why don't you try doing something like that.

--
Charley

"Tom Cavanagh" wrote in message
I'm contemplating doing a mantelpiece to replace a really ugly thing that
I've presently got. The problem is that the one I'm thinking of as a
replacement (an arts and crafts type done by Mario Rodriguez in FWW a

couple
of years ago) would require me to cover the outlet vents from the

Heatilator
unit. It doesn't really put out that much heat, The unit is at least 30
years old and is not very efficient but the cumulative effect of blocking

it
off might put the temperature to a not desirable (dangerous) point.

Any thoughts on this, and I realize this might not be the place to be
asking?
TIA for any input.

Tom Cavanagh

Posted to rec.woodworking
John DeBoo

Tom Cavanagh wrote:
I'm contemplating doing a mantelpiece to replace a really ugly thing that
I've presently got. The problem is that the one I'm thinking of as a
replacement (an arts and crafts type done by Mario Rodriguez in FWW a couple
of years ago) would require me to cover the outlet vents from the Heatilator
unit. It doesn't really put out that much heat, The unit is at least 30
years old and is not very efficient but the cumulative effect of blocking it
off might put the temperature to a not desirable (dangerous) point.

Any thoughts on this, and I realize this might not be the place to be
asking?
TIA for any input.

Tom Cavanagh

Heatilator, wow, have not heard that term in years. My dad had one
built in our fireplace when I was a kid over 40 years ago. It was built
in behind arizona sandstone and had 2 fans under the hearth to suck in
the cold air and blow hot air out the top. Excremely efficient and
heated to 20x30 LR fast and furious. The fans died and he died but my
mom still uses it w/o them. I'd suggest you do not cover them as the
built up heat has got to have some place to go. A little innovation and
I think you'll come up with a great looking idea to change the face but
keep the vents.
John
Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Cavanagh

Unwelcome but not wholly unexpected responses, back to the drawing board I
guess. Thanks for the input.

Tom
"John DeBoo" wrote in message
. ..