Posted to rec.woodworking
John DeBoo

Default Heatilator unit in fireplace.

Tom Cavanagh wrote:
I'm contemplating doing a mantelpiece to replace a really ugly thing that
I've presently got. The problem is that the one I'm thinking of as a
replacement (an arts and crafts type done by Mario Rodriguez in FWW a couple
of years ago) would require me to cover the outlet vents from the Heatilator
unit. It doesn't really put out that much heat, The unit is at least 30
years old and is not very efficient but the cumulative effect of blocking it
off might put the temperature to a not desirable (dangerous) point.

Any thoughts on this, and I realize this might not be the place to be
asking?
TIA for any input.

Tom Cavanagh

Heatilator, wow, have not heard that term in years. My dad had one
built in our fireplace when I was a kid over 40 years ago. It was built
in behind arizona sandstone and had 2 fans under the hearth to suck in
the cold air and blow hot air out the top. Excremely efficient and
heated to 20x30 LR fast and furious. The fans died and he died but my
mom still uses it w/o them. I'd suggest you do not cover them as the
built up heat has got to have some place to go. A little innovation and
I think you'll come up with a great looking idea to change the face but
keep the vents.
John