Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Cavanagh

Default Heatilator unit in fireplace.

I'm contemplating doing a mantelpiece to replace a really ugly thing that
I've presently got. The problem is that the one I'm thinking of as a
replacement (an arts and crafts type done by Mario Rodriguez in FWW a couple
of years ago) would require me to cover the outlet vents from the Heatilator
unit. It doesn't really put out that much heat, The unit is at least 30
years old and is not very efficient but the cumulative effect of blocking it
off might put the temperature to a not desirable (dangerous) point.

Any thoughts on this, and I realize this might not be the place to be
asking?
TIA for any input.

Tom Cavanagh