Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Default cutting torch guide with "clockwork" speed control

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 20:19:37 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Bob
Engelhardt quickly quoth:

Keith Marshall wrote:

In fact there's a book available that has plans for one along with a few
other tools that are handy in the shop like a hydraulic press and sheetmetal
brake IIRC. ...

"Racer's Guide to Fabricating Shop Equipment" ?

What's your take on the book, Bob? Amazon.com's lone reviewer didn't
like it at all. Wow, just 53 pages?

"Reviewer: Jim Rinaudo (Gulf Shores, al USA)
...The publication is outdated and shows how to make items that are
available for much less from discounters like Harbor Freight or Great
Northern. The only plan that may be useful is the flame cutter and the
brake but the brake sells for about 300 bucks and there are plans
available for all these on the internet. Save your money"

For a 20-year-old book, it sure kept its resale value. They're $20
new, $18 used!

I suggest checking it out at your local library. If they don't have it, maybe
it's time to learn how to request an interlibrary loan. Books like this are only
worth the money if you're sure you'll go back to them again and again. I'm
almost certainly only interested in the flame cutter, and that could easily be
photocopied or scanned and saved without actually purchasing the book.

GWE