Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

Default ok guys, how is this hand tapper supposed to work???

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 07:41:28 +0000, "William B Noble (don't reply to
this address)" wrote:

thanks - I picked mine up locally, so there was no shipping.

Just to be sure I understand, the springy steel wire just sits in the
groove and it's round - no special protrusions or anything? (I can
make that easily enough) - any idea of the aprox diameter?

and, can you offer some more details on the "fingers" - mine doesn't
have anyting inside the bore that holds the tap holders.

I did consider a magnet, but as others pointed out, there is the
magnetism problem. As an alternative, I can add a spring loaded ball,
but I'd rather do it the way the manufacturer intended.

thanks again

bill

Did you deal with Howard or Dana? I do a fair amount of business in
there for my clients..didnt know they were on Ebay yet. Got my Airco
Squarewave 300 as commission for selling some machines for them.
The Harrison tool and cutter grinder was outback collecting rust..next
time you go in...wander out to the back 40 and check under the
rust..some interesting stuff back there....

Personally..Id use a magnet.. Or simply drill and tap for a short
setscrew. Shrug.

Ive got a Lassey with the built in "vise" but have used that one..and
as another poster said..the stock pin locations really dont cut it.
1/4" pins on 1" centers is good for small stuff. Unless you have a
small machinists vise....

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner