Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default More Intermatic wall timer fun

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 23:48:56 GMT, "DiezMon"
wrote:

I just picked up an Intermatic wall switch timer, model EJ500C. I'm
installing(or trying to) into a 4-way circuit: three switches, and the
light.

Their install
instructions(http://www.intermatic.com/images/ins...ets/158SS11359.
pdf) simply say "For existing 3 switch installations replace one 3-way
switch with the timer

But the timer isn't a three-way switch is it? By that I mean, it is
designed to turn the ligh on and off when the rest of the swtches
have the light ON. It isn't designed to do that when somewhere else
in the circuit the light is off. (Imagine you had 2 three-ways and
one 4-way and one timer controlling a receptacle, and the lamp plugged
into that receptacle was OFF. Then nothing the timer could do could
turn the light on.

You can tell that the timer is not a 3-wayt because they also want you
to replace the 4-way with a 3-way. If the timer were a 3-way, you
could keep the 4-way and it would continue to do the same function.

BTW, even if the timer were a 3-way, you would still have to leave the
rest of the circuit in the ON position. Because if you flipped one of
the other two swtiches, the timer would then turn the light Off when
you wanted it On, and On when you wanted it Off. Maybe that would
be ok in some cases, but it's not what you want, right?

and replace the 4-way switch with a 3-way switch"
Well, it doesn't say anything about what to do with the FOUR wires that
currently go to the 4-way switch once it's replaced with the 3-way.

They intend for you to figure it out. If you change a 4-way to a
3-way, you have no use for one of the 4 wires. It's the same wire
that can't be connected to the timer because the timer only accepts 2
wires and not 3.

I'm very handy, but I'm no seasoned electrician.. never been a fan of
working on the whole 3-way and 4-way circuits

Anyone had any experience in doing this? I have existing construction and
can't run any new wires without some major work.

I don't know why you think or why Volts says you need MORE wires. You
actually will now have an extra wire***. Now I'll go look at the
webpage. Oh, it's a pdf file. They annoy me. Please read my
other post. I don't need to look at the pdf file.

***Unless you want to discuss how to turn the timer into a 3- way or
4-way swtich? Which I can explain.

Thanks!

Tim

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let