Posted to rec.woodworking
George M. Kazaka

Default laquer over polyurethane

Lacquer is a stronger chemical than Poly,
Its not a question of whether it will stick or not,
Lacquer will generally eat into any other chemical finish,
It will not however eat into shellac, strange but true.
You can however put just about anything you want on top of lacquer if it is
cured
which takes approximatelly two weeks for a full cure.

There is a filler that will fill the open pores in wood it is an oil based
product and can be tinted once dried you can stain and then topcoat.
The best I know it is a commercial product and generally not available at
places like HD or Lowes.
There may be some on line suppliers that carry it.

Good Luck,
George

"Nash" wrote in message
oups.com...
Long time reader, first time writer. I finished a small piece to go on
a dresser. but I'm not happy with it. Can I use laquer over
polyurethane? And what about the large pores of red oak? Any way to
fill them without it looking bad? Any advice appreciated.