Posted to rec.woodworking
Nash

Default laquer over polyurethane

Long time reader, first time writer. I finished a small piece to go on
a dresser. but I'm not happy with it. Can I use laquer over
polyurethane? And what about the large pores of red oak? Any way to
fill them without it looking bad? Any advice appreciated.

Posted to rec.woodworking
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"Nash" wrote in message
oups.com...
Long time reader, first time writer. I finished a small piece to go on
a dresser. but I'm not happy with it. Can I use laquer over
polyurethane? And what about the large pores of red oak? Any way to
fill them without it looking bad? Any advice appreciated.

Other's can chime in and say for sure as I'm not entirely sure lacquer will
stick to the poly. You could always use a coat or two of shellac as a
bonding layer so to speak. Put the shellac over the poly and then the
lacquer over the poly. As for filling pores, I've never messed with Oak so
not sure but it seems to me you should have filled them before finishing.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article .com,
"Nash" wrote:

Long time reader, first time writer. I finished a small piece to go on
a dresser. but I'm not happy with it. Can I use laquer over
polyurethane? And what about the large pores of red oak? Any way to
fill them without it looking bad? Any advice appreciated.

There are fillers that do just that-- fill pores on wood with course
texture. It's almost a wood filler wash. Rub it on with a rag... let sit
for a bit, gently wipe off. Let dry, and lightly sand. Then coat with
your favourite finish. The topcoat will actually hold the filler in
place. In your case, why do want to put lacquer over poly? Can't you
scuff and poly?
I'm pretty sure you can sand and clean poly enough for lacquer to stick.
Of course... try a sample in a inconspicuous spot.
I makes for a smooth finish that feels great to the touch and looks like
****. The filler absorbs stain like wood filler......'cuz that's what it
is. There may be better stuff out there these day.
As much as I learned to dislike oak after working with it all these
years, I must defend it for the one thing oak does best--- texture and
those fabulous rays.

HTH

Rob
Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"Nash" wrote in message
oups.com...
Long time reader, first time writer. I finished a small piece to go on
a dresser. but I'm not happy with it. Can I use laquer over
polyurethane? And what about the large pores of red oak? Any way to
fill them without it looking bad? Any advice appreciated.

The easy part of the answer is that you can lacquer over poly with good
prep. Scruff the poly down thoroughly with a 3M pad. But why? Poly is a
more durable finish than lacquer. Neither product is going to offer a
difference in appearance or in characteristic, so I wouldn't go that route.

What is it that you're not satisfied with? Besides the pores in the red
oak? Your best approach to them is to scruff up the finish on the piece and
apply more poly to build the top coat. Get it up where you want it -
leveling out the pores to a satisfactory point, and then scruff the top coat
again, and bring it to the level of shine you want by buffing it.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
nospambob

I'd use dewaxed shellac and pumice for French polishing, interface and
pore filling.

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 22:11:49 -0700, "James \"Cubby\" Culbertson"
wrote:

"Nash" wrote in message
roups.com...
Long time reader, first time writer. I finished a small piece to go on
a dresser. but I'm not happy with it. Can I use laquer over
polyurethane? And what about the large pores of red oak? Any way to
fill them without it looking bad? Any advice appreciated.

Other's can chime in and say for sure as I'm not entirely sure lacquer will
stick to the poly. You could always use a coat or two of shellac as a
bonding layer so to speak. Put the shellac over the poly and then the
lacquer over the poly. As for filling pores, I've never messed with Oak so
not sure but it seems to me you should have filled them before finishing.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to rec.woodworking
Nash

I appreciate everyones advice. I used 0000 steel wool then another
coat of poly. Looks like that will improve things. So, next project
will incude a 50 mile trip to the lumber yard for cherry, maple, ash or
walnut.

Posted to rec.woodworking
George M. Kazaka

Lacquer is a stronger chemical than Poly,
Its not a question of whether it will stick or not,
Lacquer will generally eat into any other chemical finish,
It will not however eat into shellac, strange but true.
You can however put just about anything you want on top of lacquer if it is
cured
which takes approximatelly two weeks for a full cure.

There is a filler that will fill the open pores in wood it is an oil based
product and can be tinted once dried you can stain and then topcoat.
The best I know it is a commercial product and generally not available at
places like HD or Lowes.
There may be some on line suppliers that carry it.

Good Luck,
George

"Nash" wrote in message
oups.com...
Long time reader, first time writer. I finished a small piece to go on
a dresser. but I'm not happy with it. Can I use laquer over
polyurethane? And what about the large pores of red oak? Any way to
fill them without it looking bad? Any advice appreciated.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"George M. Kazaka" wrote in message

Lacquer is a stronger chemical than Poly,

Correct, but more brittle as well. Poly will typically hold up to use with
less distress than lacquer.

--

-Mike-