Posted to rec.woodworking
nospambob

Default laquer over polyurethane

I'd use dewaxed shellac and pumice for French polishing, interface and
pore filling.

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 22:11:49 -0700, "James \"Cubby\" Culbertson"
wrote:

"Nash" wrote in message
roups.com...
Long time reader, first time writer. I finished a small piece to go on
a dresser. but I'm not happy with it. Can I use laquer over
polyurethane? And what about the large pores of red oak? Any way to
fill them without it looking bad? Any advice appreciated.

Other's can chime in and say for sure as I'm not entirely sure lacquer will
stick to the poly. You could always use a coat or two of shellac as a
bonding layer so to speak. Put the shellac over the poly and then the
lacquer over the poly. As for filling pores, I've never messed with Oak so
not sure but it seems to me you should have filled them before finishing.
Cheers,
cc