jim rozen

Default Help Sand & Dial Indicator

In article , Sunworshiper says...

It just happened again and this time took my only small dial indicator
and I found it all slobbered and in the durt ! I'm in the middle of
making a holder for it and was hoping to get it done and set up for
the next step of the job. Now I don't know what to do to clean it.
I'm afraid to touch it. Soft brush and then ahhh hold it the best way
in gas and then compressed air and hope for the best ?

Also depends on what kind of indicator it is. Some of them
(like the starrett 196) actually come apart pretty easy and
can be cleaned that way. Others are not so easy - but
are a bit more dirt-proof. I would first off remove any
particulates from the plunger (if plunger type) and see
how sticky it has gotten.

The plunger-type on my lathe that I use for a carriage
travel depth indicator gets swarfed all the time and
never seems to mind it.

JIm

please reply to: