Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

Default laquer over polyurethane

"Nash" wrote in message
oups.com...
Long time reader, first time writer. I finished a small piece to go on
a dresser. but I'm not happy with it. Can I use laquer over
polyurethane? And what about the large pores of red oak? Any way to
fill them without it looking bad? Any advice appreciated.

The easy part of the answer is that you can lacquer over poly with good
prep. Scruff the poly down thoroughly with a 3M pad. But why? Poly is a
more durable finish than lacquer. Neither product is going to offer a
difference in appearance or in characteristic, so I wouldn't go that route.

What is it that you're not satisfied with? Besides the pores in the red
oak? Your best approach to them is to scruff up the finish on the piece and
apply more poly to build the top coat. Get it up where you want it -
leveling out the pores to a satisfactory point, and then scruff the top coat
again, and bring it to the level of shine you want by buffing it.

--

-Mike-