Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Glenn Ashmore

Default ok guys, how is this hand tapper supposed to work???

I have one similar to that. I got a pack of tiny rubber bands, the kind
used to hold dental braces and put one on each tap holder. Works well
enough. My big complaint is that the pin is totally inadequate to hold a
part. The torque will twist the part out of place and break smaller taps.
I drilled and taped the base in a pattern to take clamp studs.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"William B Noble (don't reply to this address)" wrote
in message ...
I just bought a hand tapper from E-bay - local pickup, bla bla bla

here's the link to the thing I bought

It's nice, I cleaned it up a little, did some machining to make the
ball detent work so the shaft would stay up while I changed tap
holders, and all would be well, except for one problem - I can't
figure out how this thing was supposed to retain the tap holders.

The holders, as you can see, are hexagonal. they fit into the end of
the shaft. Inside the shaft, about 3/16 up from the end, there is a
groove. I suppose a spring goes in there? does anyone have a similar
unit so they can tell me exactly how the retainer looks?

thanks

bill
Bill

www.wbnoble.com

to contact me, do not reply to this message,
instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com