Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

Default laquer over polyurethane

In article .com,
"Nash" wrote:

Long time reader, first time writer. I finished a small piece to go on
a dresser. but I'm not happy with it. Can I use laquer over
polyurethane? And what about the large pores of red oak? Any way to
fill them without it looking bad? Any advice appreciated.

There are fillers that do just that-- fill pores on wood with course
texture. It's almost a wood filler wash. Rub it on with a rag... let sit
for a bit, gently wipe off. Let dry, and lightly sand. Then coat with
your favourite finish. The topcoat will actually hold the filler in
place. In your case, why do want to put lacquer over poly? Can't you
scuff and poly?
I'm pretty sure you can sand and clean poly enough for lacquer to stick.
Of course... try a sample in a inconspicuous spot.
I makes for a smooth finish that feels great to the touch and looks like
****. The filler absorbs stain like wood filler......'cuz that's what it
is. There may be better stuff out there these day.
As much as I learned to dislike oak after working with it all these
years, I must defend it for the one thing oak does best--- texture and
those fabulous rays.

HTH

Rob