Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mawdeeb

Default ok guys, how is this hand tapper supposed to work???

William B Noble (don't reply to this address) wrote:
I just bought a hand tapper from E-bay - local pickup, bla bla bla

here's the link to the thing I bought

It's nice, I cleaned it up a little, did some machining to make the
ball detent work so the shaft would stay up while I changed tap
holders, and all would be well, except for one problem - I can't
figure out how this thing was supposed to retain the tap holders.

The holders, as you can see, are hexagonal. they fit into the end of
the shaft. Inside the shaft, about 3/16 up from the end, there is a
groove. I suppose a spring goes in there? does anyone have a similar
unit so they can tell me exactly how the retainer looks?

thanks

bill
Bill

www.wbnoble.com

to contact me, do not reply to this message,
instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com

The answer is simple. Put a thin diameter o-ring in the groove and be
happy.

Enjoy

Jim Vrzal
Holiday, Fl.