Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

Default Question Regarding Honeywell Chronotherm III

"Ronald Cliborn" wrote in message
news
I bought a home with two of the above mentioned thermostats.
Either I can't figure out how to program them, or they don't work
correct.

I changed the batteries to eliminate that possibility.

The Problem: The thermostat doesn't come on or go off when I want it
to, or provide the desired temp I program in.

It seems easy to operate and program, but the problem lies in the
grouping of the "On" & "Off" buttons.
There a
1.) Wake
2.) Sleep
3.) Leave
4.) Return

I believe WAKE turns the system ON at the start of a Day. But I don't
know if it then gets turned off by SLEEP or LEAVE.

The same with RETURN. Is it turned off by SLEEP.

WAKE -- LEAVE -- RETURN -- SLEEP is what I've tried without
success.
I'll try the other combination, but if someone KNOWs could you please
help me out??

This unit has a built in program the goal of which it to have the area at
the desired tempature by the stated time. It uses readings over a period of
days. Example to have the house at 70 degrees by 6 AM it may caculate that
it needs to start the heating process at 5 AM or earlier. These times can
and will vary based on the the last X days of info the chip has stored.

For me in my area where the weather changes quickly this did not work. This
feature of the thermostat can be easily disabled by (I am going to have to
look this up and post again). I think it was just a quarter turn of a screw
on the back of the unit. Post again or email me.

When this feature is disabled the thermostat will not call for heat or cool
until the time you have selected. This means that the home may not be at 70
degrees at 6 AM but the furnace will be running and trying to achieve that
tempature. For us this worked the best.

Colbyt