Posted to alt.home.repair
Ronald Cliborn

Default Question Regarding Honeywell Chronotherm III

I bought a home with two of the above mentioned thermostats.
Either I can't figure out how to program them, or they don't work
correct.

I changed the batteries to eliminate that possibility.

The Problem: The thermostat doesn't come on or go off when I want it
to, or provide the desired temp I program in.

It seems easy to operate and program, but the problem lies in the
grouping of the "On" & "Off" buttons.
There a
1.) Wake
2.) Sleep
3.) Leave
4.) Return

I believe WAKE turns the system ON at the start of a Day. But I don't
know if it then gets turned off by SLEEP or LEAVE.

The same with RETURN. Is it turned off by SLEEP.

WAKE -- LEAVE -- RETURN -- SLEEP is what I've tried without
success.
I'll try the other combination, but if someone KNOWs could you please
help me out??

Thanks
Ron Cli Bon
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Ronald Cliborn wrote:
I believe WAKE turns the system ON at the start of a Day. But I don't
know if it then gets turned off by SLEEP or LEAVE.

The automatic program never actually turns the system on or off. You
can do the equivalent turning it off for a period (wake, leave, return,
sleep) by setting the heat temperature for a low value. For example:

Wake: 68
Leave: 50
Return: 68
Sleep: 55

Unless you have a lot of heat loss it's not likely the system will run
during the Leave period.

Many of these thermostats gradually adjust the temperature, so if you
have the wake time set for 6:00, it may start heating at 5:00 with short
cycles so the house is comfortably warm by 6.
Posted to alt.home.repair
CBHVAC

"Ronald Cliborn" wrote in message
news
[...]

All you are doing when you program the times, and temps, are just
that...times and temps. IF you set the thermostat to be at 80F at WAKE time
of 6am, and its 74F at 5:59, it will turn it on at 6 to heat the area.
IF, and this is IF you have the Adaptive Recovery feature ON, it might even
start the unit in WAKE mode at 5:50....depending on the previous weeks
measured time to raise the temps as needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

[...]

This unit has a built in program the goal of which it to have the area at
the desired tempature by the stated time. It uses readings over a period of
days. Example to have the house at 70 degrees by 6 AM it may caculate that
it needs to start the heating process at 5 AM or earlier. These times can
and will vary based on the the last X days of info the chip has stored.

For me in my area where the weather changes quickly this did not work. This
feature of the thermostat can be easily disabled by (I am going to have to
look this up and post again). I think it was just a quarter turn of a screw
on the back of the unit. Post again or email me.

When this feature is disabled the thermostat will not call for heat or cool
until the time you have selected. This means that the home may not be at 70
degrees at 6 AM but the furnace will be running and trying to achieve that
tempature. For us this worked the best.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 20:24:14 -0500, Ronald Cliborn
wrote:

I bought a home with two of the above mentioned thermostats.
Either I can't figure out how to program them, or they don't work
correct.

I changed the batteries to eliminate that possibility.

The Problem: The thermostat doesn't come on or go off when I want it
to, or provide the desired temp I program in.

It seems easy to operate and program, but the problem lies in the
grouping of the "On" & "Off" buttons.
There a
1.) Wake
2.) Sleep
3.) Leave
4.) Return

I believe WAKE turns the system ON at the start of a Day. But I don't
know if it then gets turned off by SLEEP or LEAVE.

I don't know this particular thermostat, but it seems to me, it
depends on what times you enter. If you put in 7AM for wake,

and a) 8AM for Leave, it will next head for the leave temperature.

If you b) put in 5PM for leave, and 9AM for Sleep, it wiill next go
to the sleep temperature.

Maybe you get up at 7, check your files, read the paper, and go back
to sleep at 9.

Then you wake up at 4 again, leave at 5 and Return at 2AM/

Since you only have 4 settings, you won't be able to have it turn down
automatically at 3AM, but them's the breaks. No, that's not right,
you can put set the Leave for 3AM, since you've done nothing to make
the temperature to go up in the afternoon.

Although you might want three cycles with a schedule like this, and
this thermostat only has two. So you'd probably skip the shortest
one, or maybe the day cycle since maybe the sun keeps it warm during
the day anyhow.

The same with RETURN. Is it turned off by SLEEP.

WAKE -- LEAVE -- RETURN -- SLEEP is what I've tried without
success.

What do you call success and how do you know you didn't have it?

I'll try the other combination, but if someone KNOWs could you please
help me out??

Thanks
Ron Cli Bon

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The sequence should be: wake leave return sleep. Pick the time/temp
you want for each of those and the thermostat should switch to the new
temp at the appropriate time. If you change it to a diff temp
manually, then it should go back to the programmed temp at the next
time that is set in the program, unless you have it on hold. On hold
it will just maintain the current set temp indefinitely.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Travis Jordan

Ronald Cliborn wrote:
I bought a home with two of the above mentioned thermostats.
Either I can't figure out how to program them, or they don't work
correct.

Each program (Wake, Leave, Return, Sleep) operates sequentially, in the
order you listed.

Here's the complete documentation on that product (T8602C). The user
programming instructions start on page 26.

http://customer.honeywell.com/Techli...0s/68-0056.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ronald Cliborn

You are a god (little g of course).
Thank you. I looked and googled and got jack....not even jack
actually.

I understand the basic principle of how it should work, but it seems
to have times and temp programmed in and of course "no one" has
bothered it.
"No one" does a lot of bad things at my home but I can't tell if he is
messing with the Thermostat or if I'm just that bad at programming it,
or if it is broken.

Thanks
Ron Cli

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 12:07:07 GMT, "Travis Jordan"
wrote:

Ronald Cliborn wrote:
I bought a home with two of the above mentioned thermostats.
Either I can't figure out how to program them, or they don't work
correct.

Each program (Wake, Leave, Return, Sleep) operates sequentially, in the
order you listed.

Here's the complete documentation on that product (T8602C). The user
programming instructions start on page 26.

http://customer.honeywell.com/Techli...0s/68-0056.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"Ronald Cliborn" wrote in message

You are a god (little g of course).
Thank you. I looked and googled and got jack....not even jack
actually.

I understand the basic principle of how it should work, but it seems
to have times and temp programmed in and of course "no one" has
bothered it.
"No one" does a lot of bad things at my home but I can't tell if he is
messing with the Thermostat or if I'm just that bad at programming it,
or if it is broken.

Thanks
Ron Cli

When ever I reprogram my stat, which is seldom after the first complete
season. I have found that going back through each day and each set point has
some interesting information. Either I push the buttons to fast or not hard
enough. Do not know don't care. Check everyday and every setpoint when you
THINK your done. Maybe you have the same issues that I have.
I recently programmed the heat on my stat. Temps were consistent, 60 and 70.
Guess they are defaults. I rarely need heat so I moved everything to 57 F.
Took twice to get all settings to my setpoint.

Electric baseboard heat question None Home Repair 4 January 24th 05 01:58 AM
Electric baseboard heat question None Home Ownership 0 January 23rd 05 07:52 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs Home Ownership 2 March 25th 04 07:03 PM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM