Posted to alt.home.repair
Patrick Cleburne

Default How to stop an HOA from blowing a quater million bucks

"Larry Bud" wrote in message
oups.com...
Got a letter today from the VP of the Management for our site condos
today. Almost every year we have to patch about 1/2 mile or so of road
from pot holes. The roads are not heavily travelled, and only used by
our sub, and while the pot holes were a nuisance, the road is only 15
mph.

The letter states that the board had conferred with several asphalt
contrators who have concluded that the road was "originally installed
an an incorrect pitch with much of the base comprised of grey wet
clay". The board had decided to tear out a good portion of the road,
and the estimated cost was $225,000. Our dues are to go up from
$75/month to almost $300 from jan to apr, then back down to $80 after
that.

What can be done to stop this? I find it ridiculous that even if there
is an underlying problem, the cost to repair the road this year was
$5500. At that rate, we could repair the road for 41 years for the
cost of replacement. This even assumes that the new road wouldn't even
have to have repairs in that time, which is probably impossible.

1-800-TonySoprano