Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Dobony

Default How to stop an HOA from blowing a quater million bucks

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Larry Bud wrote:
Got a letter today from the VP of the Management for our site condos
today. Almost every year we have to patch about 1/2 mile or so of
road from pot holes. The roads are not heavily travelled, and only
used by our sub, and while the pot holes were a nuisance, the road is
only 15 mph.

The letter states that the board had conferred with several asphalt
contrators who have concluded that the road was "originally installed
an an incorrect pitch with much of the base comprised of grey wet
clay". The board had decided to tear out a good portion of the road,
and the estimated cost was $225,000. Our dues are to go up from
$75/month to almost $300 from jan to apr, then back down to $80 after
that.

What can be done to stop this? I find it ridiculous that even if
there is an underlying problem, the cost to repair the road this year
was $5500. At that rate, we could repair the road for 41 years for
the cost of replacement. This even assumes that the new road
wouldn't even have to have repairs in that time, which is probably
impossible.

Most likely the contractor is a close relative of a board member.

Check your association's by-laws. Maybe a petition, recall election, or
other remedy for a rogue board is provided. You'll have to have at hand a
copy of the by-laws when you visit your attorney anyway.

I have seen some of the regs for such a development which forbids legal
action by its members : ( Hope yours is not like that.