Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What to fill knot holes with?

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 07:24:57 -0500, "Stephen M"
wrote:

For a more natural
feel and look (instead of black plastic) I mix in a medium grind
coffee. The coffee actually seems to hold the finish on better than
the plain epoxy and doesn't have that plastic look to it. Coffee is
also harmless to planer blades, jointers, and turning tools.

I have done cofee on some turnings and really like the look. I would add,
however that using spent medium grounds did not yeild a smooth finish.
Finely ground beans (seriously, to a fine powder) worked the best. It
yeilded a nice dark chocolate color.

Personally, I use instant coffee.
The job is done in no time.