Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

Default Oneway Termite

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 07:10:20 -0500, "George" George@least wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
It's getting through the end grain that is a PITA for me with a bowl

Pointy gouge. Or, if you look to Darryl's site, you'll see almost the same
in use as an Oland tool.

An Oland is what I'm using now... I made a tip that extends almost 2" from the
tool so that it reaches nicely and also does a little side scraping... the more
I use the Oland, the more I like it.. I've made 3 so far..

I started using the Oland because the pointy or swept wing gouge require a lot
more skill than I have right now... too many "oops" grooves near the bottom
corners that have to be scraped, etc...

Had you considered one of the hollowing devices with the shaving limiters?
They control the problem of jamming and to a degree, grabbing, by limiting
the thickness and controlling the direction of the shaving. Sort of like a
mini spokeshave on a stick. Don makes and sells, one, as he says, and then
there's the down under guy who pops in now and again to draw the ire of the
foul-mouthed paranoid. Pro Forme, I believe is his brand.

I would, but most of them are for hollow forms and pretty expensive and
elaborate...
I look at hollow forms and vessels and admire the work and all, but I just have
no interest in making them... almost a separate hobby..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing