Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Default OT Browser

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
Great. I'll get a scanner to watch for all zero of the real Linux and
Mac OSX viruses, and keep counting all none of them on my systems.
Yes, there's been one or two "theoretical, in the lab only, not in the
wild" experiments.

There is ONE wild Linux virus -- Bliss. It is still out there, but
propagates slowly, and dies young because of the natural user-limited
create, read, and write priveleges inherent with 'ix-es of all ken. Unless
a careless user is abusing root privileges (usually on a single-user system)
an infectious binary has little chance of replacing an executable.

There was (maybe still is) one OS-X virus in the wild -- Switchback. It
probably never had more than a hundred live copies going worldwide at one
time. Slow to propagate, and easy to kill, it had virtually zero impact on
Mac users. That was way back in 2003, and no new ones have shown up.

LLoyd