Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Unknown

Default OT Browser

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 12:49:31 +0000, David Billington
wrote:

,;Did you use the burn ISO image option in your CD writing software. If
,;you just burned the .ISO file onto the CD that won't work.
,;
,;Laurie Forbes wrote:
,;
,;"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
,;
,;Try one of the "Live CD" linux distributions. Ubuntu has a great one.
,;Stick the CD in your drive, reboot the system, you're in a linux system
,;running off the CD. You can see the state of the OS, without doing a
,;thing to your Windows installation. Take out the CD, reboot again, and
,;you're back to your untouched Windows installation.
,;
,;
,;I have tried downloading and booting a linux iso CD file but my computer
,;seems to ignore it (I can boot however from the CD with a Windows boot
,;disk). My computer is about 10 years old and I wonder if the bios does not
,;recognize iso extensions (or some such). Would anyone know what the problem
,;might be??
,;
,;I'd like to try the Ubuntu linux but don't really want to do a three hour or
,;so download unless the file is going to work.

You can get a CD free from the following URL...
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/

There are several hoops to jump through as you need to register. I
have done so and have not had a problem with unwanted email or junk
mail. I did receive the 5 CDs I ordered.

If you download an iso file you can not just burn it to a CD.

If you are using EZ CD creator

1.select "Create CD" from File menu.
2. find the iso file on your HD
3. Click on the "Files of type" dropdown box and select "ISO Image
Files (*ISO).
4. Select the ISO image file
5. Make sure that the "Write method" is set to Disc-At-Onnce" and
Close CD.
6. Click OK twice.

OR
1. Double click the ISO file on your HD. This should open CD Creator
2. Three options are available...Test, Test & Create CD, or Crate CD.
Either of the last two are OK.
3. Be sure the Write Method is set to Disc-At-Onnce" and Close CD.
4. Click OK

If you have Nero or some other burning software the directions will be
different but will have a procedure that doesn't just copy the ISO
file to a CD.

The easiest (but slowest) way is to order the free CDs.

Now your BIOS must be able to "Boot from CD" and must be set to use
that option.

The "reatogo" XP CD also takes you through burning an ISO image file.
This will give you XP running from a CD.