Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting 17 foot foyer with extension ladder??

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 17:12:08 -0600, "Steven L Umbach"
wrote:

I am going to some day paint the ceiling and the walls in our 17 foot high
foyer and replace the light fixture. Home Depot has reasonable rates on ten
foot scaffolding but there is a section that I can not reach with the
scaffolding. We have four steps up to a landing and then a right angle for
the rest of the steps to the second floor. I could use extension poles, etc
to do that part which is above the stairway but I was wondering about using
my 16 foot extension ladder there. My concern is will the wall be able to
support the ladder and me [I weigh 230 lbs] without damage or even breakage?
The walls are standard half inch drywall on 2X4 spaced every 16 inches. The
ladder has the usual rubber boots on the end. Thanks. --- Steve

Take a 3 foot piece of 1X4 or 2x4 and fasten it across the top end otf
the ladder, so the board leans against the wall with the ladder rungs
against it. If your ladder is wood, just screw it to the ladder. If
the ladder is metal or fiberglass, you'll have to be creative with
duct tape or clamps of some sort to keep it attached to the ladder.
You can even put a scrap of carpeting or foam onto the board to
prevent scratching the wall. Doing this means the ladder weight will
be spread evenly across the walls and likely catch 2 studs, unless you
have spacing over 16".