Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting 17 foot foyer with extension ladder??

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 20:34:07 -0600, Dennis Turner
wrote:

On 12/6/2005 5:12 PM or thereabouts, Steven L Umbach appears, somewhat
unbelievably, to have opined:

I am going to some day paint the ceiling and the walls in our 17 foot high
foyer and replace the light fixture. Home Depot has reasonable rates on ten
foot scaffolding but there is a section that I can not reach with the
scaffolding. We have four steps up to a landing and then a right angle for
the rest of the steps to the second floor. I could use extension poles, etc
to do that part which is above the stairway but I was wondering about using
my 16 foot extension ladder there. My concern is will the wall be able to
support the ladder and me [I weigh 230 lbs] without damage or even breakage?
The walls are standard half inch drywall on 2X4 spaced every 16 inches. The
ladder has the usual rubber boots on the end. Thanks. --- Steve

I painted my 20 foot high foyer from an extension ladder with no damage
to the drywall. I did have one rather frightening moment, however. The
floor was marble tile at the time (since redone in hardwood), and as I
was painting I felt the ladder begin to move down the wall. My mind was
filled with visions of myself splattered all over that hard marble.
Fortunately, however, the ladder stopped slipping when it fell off the 6
inch step down into the living room and reached carpet. I was certainly
shaken, but not splattered.

Be aware that those rubber feet on the ladder don't necessarily grip
well on very slick floors.

I must admit you got me laughing reading this.... I could just picture
it.... Why people put in slippery floors like that I will never
understand. You are correct about the rubber feet on ladders dont
work the best. I had a ladder slip down a round pole in my barn. It
went all the way down. I just stayed on the ladder till I was looking
at the floor. Then I used some words I could not post on the
internet, and stood the laddetr back up. This time I tied the bottom
of it to the post on both sides to prevent slipping. This occured on
concrete that was wet. (I was raining and I only had half the roof
on).