Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

Default Oneway Termite

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 22:28:04 -0500, Leo Van Der Loo
wrote:

Hi Mac

Mac I sometimes use the termite, it's a good tool for end grain cutting
rather than scraping, it is not the best for side grain turning, but it
was not designed for that.

The only beef I have with the termite is the tools shaft, I find that it
should be heavier, it's easy to make a heavier bar if one would want to
do that though.

Yes you can buy just the tool tip and make your own handle but I like
the whole set, you get the sharpening point, it's a special point not
just a regular grinder stone, and the holder for the tip, so you can
sharpen the cutters easily with a router setup, the tip has to turn
something like 30.000 rpm (seem to recall that I think).

The thing about the tool not cutting because the hole plugging up is not
right, the tool cuts with the wood being sliced and riding/sliding
curling of the inside bevel, not by going through the hole, however if
not presented proper you could get a chunk of wood to get stuck in the
hole and blocking the bevel so the wood is than prevented from curling
away from the tool.

I think the tool has a bit of a learning curve but with some practice
it's a good tool for what it is designed for, cutting end grain.

I got a link to Herman de Vries's website he has some info on the use of
the termite tool, it might be some help.

http://www.hdv.net/

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Thanks, Leo.. I have been to Herman's site along with a few others..

I'm sure that I could make my own handle, but if you buy the 2 tips and the
sharpening setup, you've paid about the same as just getting the set..
I'm sort of anal that way.. I could have made my own handles for the coring
system I bought but would rather have it the way Kelton designed it...

Most of the boxes I do are less than 4" diameter, and only a few inches deep, so
I don't think a heavier or longer handle would be a factor..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing