Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

Default Oneway Termite

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 12:22:48 -0500, "George" George@least wrote:

It's a ring tool, which is a closed hook tool, which is a gouge at right
angles to the handle.

ok, I think I can picture that...

A gouge produces a nice surface cutting downhill on endgrain, the Termite
does it sideways. It's fine for box and goblet bottoms, marginally better
than a fingernail gouge on their insides, depending on taper. Hook tool can
even be used on deep cross grain, but you'll want a lot of leverage. Look
at the pictures of the old boys and you'll see them with a handle long
enough to steady in an armpit.

yeah, that's exactly what I'm looking for, a tool for box and shallow vase
bottoms on end grain work... I can't see using it for a cross grain bowl or side
work....

Problem with a ring over the hook is in shaving ejection. Ring fills up
quickly if you're being aggressive, or the damp wood is sticking together in
long shavings. The larger ring cannot be sharpened with the sharpening cone
they provide with the standard kit, BTW.

hmm.. Good point...
I'll have to check with Oneway.. the "implied message" is that the stone is just
set further out from the router to sharpen the larger one..

Second problem is that it's really intolerant of out-of-round conditions.
Getting best results requires a bevel reference, so it's for first hollowing
or final passes, not for bringing something back to round after drying. Use
a standard gouge or scraper for that.

What it does is close to priceless, if you've ever tried to scrape some
woods' endgrain, and then to sand it into some semblance of smooth. If
you're making a lot of boxes or goblets, purchase it as what it is - a
one-trick-pony - and enjoy. Otherwise, don't waste a gift occasion.

Cool.. After a couple of years of cracked bowls, I turn most things to finish
thickness now and let them warp...
It's getting through the end grain that is a PITA for me with a bowl gouge,
especially after the initial inch or two of depth.....
I hadn't considered the fact that it might also replace or reduce the use of
scrapers...

FWIW, boxes don't sell worth a squat around here. Nice ones take almost 45
minutes, and people won't give $20 for 'em. Will for a goblet which takes
less time, though. Go figure.

No problem here.. only sold a few boxes, but that's because the wife snaps them
all up as soon as they're done... and I'd rather make something that she likes
that sell it, anyway..

Thanks, George.. good info!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing