Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Van Der Loo

Default Oneway Termite

Hi Mac

Mac I sometimes use the termite, it's a good tool for end grain cutting
rather than scraping, it is not the best for side grain turning, but it
was not designed for that.

The only beef I have with the termite is the tools shaft, I find that it
should be heavier, it's easy to make a heavier bar if one would want to
do that though.

Yes you can buy just the tool tip and make your own handle but I like
the whole set, you get the sharpening point, it's a special point not
just a regular grinder stone, and the holder for the tip, so you can
sharpen the cutters easily with a router setup, the tip has to turn
something like 30.000 rpm (seem to recall that I think).

The thing about the tool not cutting because the hole plugging up is not
right, the tool cuts with the wood being sliced and riding/sliding
curling of the inside bevel, not by going through the hole, however if
not presented proper you could get a chunk of wood to get stuck in the
hole and blocking the bevel so the wood is than prevented from curling
away from the tool.

I think the tool has a bit of a learning curve but with some practice
it's a good tool for what it is designed for, cutting end grain.

I got a link to Herman de Vries's website he has some info on the use of
the termite tool, it might be some help.

http://www.hdv.net/

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

mac davis wrote:
I've been sort of lusting after the termite for end grain stuff... My wife told
me this morning that she was going to get it for me for Christmas, but was
afraid of ordering the wrong thing..

She asked me to go ahead and order it, but I'm sorta getting cold feet... I'd
have to buy a $80 tool and end up having it sit on a shelf not being used..

Anyone try the Termite?

Anyone using something better than the Termite?

Feedback appreciated...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing