Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Steve Russell

Default Drying roughed bowls-Boiling Method

Hello to the group,

If anyone is interested in my boiling protocol, I will be happy to email it
to them if you will send me an email. I would post it on the group, but some
on the group do not care for posts that are more than a few sentences long.
I still do not have a website as yet, but I'm trying to get one up by early
'06. Plans are to include some of my latest research on the website, as I
have only published 10% of my total research in the last ten years.

I have boiled more than 10,000 bowls using my boiling protocol and it works
very well indeed. Losses per thousand bowls are less than 1/2 of 1%, with
many species reporting 100% success rates. I have been contacted by some
South American mills who have been using my boiling protocol to boil solid
exotic wood bowl blanks and other solid stock with superb results.

One even mentioned that they would probably be out of business if it were
not for my protocol, as their losses due to checking were so high. In
addition, thousands of woodturners in virtually every country in the world
are using my protocol with the same results. It works, if you follow the
protocol correctly and this has been verified by woodturners around the
world. I have a new boiling protocol that uses a pre-shock cycle, prior to
boiling that I will publish the protocol on very soon. I like to run at
least 500 bowls through a new protocol before publishing the results, as I
believe less than this is not really a valid test group.

In addition, I have begun experimenting on two new ways to dry timber using
some new innovative techniques. Results for these will not be available
until the end of 2006, or early 2007 as each subset will require 500 bowls,
with the master protocol requiring a total of 2,000 bowls to complete the
testing. As always, I remain at the group's service... If I can help you in
any way, please do not hesitate to contact me. Research and testing
continue... Humm, I see my post is a wee bit long, I guess I'll have to
hunker down for the incoming :-0

On 11/30/05 9:02 PM, in article
, "
wrote:

Here are a couple of links that may help. Seems there are as many ways
to dry without cracking as there are turners, but boiling per Steven
Russell's protocol seems to work best statistically.
http://www.woodturners.org/tech_tips...es/boiling.pdf
http://www.woodturningonline.com/Tur...es.html#drying
http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/r...le=articles_12
4.shtml
Never did find the original article, perhaps you'll have better luck.
His company is called Eurowood Werks.

--
Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steven D. Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio, The Woodlands, Texas
Machinery, Tool and Product Testing for the Woodworking and Woodturning
Industries

Research and Testing to Benefit the Worldwide Woodturning Community

³Woodturning with Steven D. Russell²
Volume #1 CD ROM e-Book * Available for Shipment
Volume #2 CD ROM e-Book/DVD Video * Available for Shipment
Volume #3 Double DVD Video on Bowl Turning * Available for Shipment