Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Default Kerosene Heater and De-humidifer Combo?

Name wrote:

"rigger" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mike Berger wrote:

Maybe, but then you'll be using a lot more energy overall to heat
the place, and stand the chance of dying from the combustion fumes
and lack of oxygen as well.

Name wrote:

In the "how to heat a two stall garage" thread, someone mentioned that

kerosene heater would cause a lot of moisture in the garage. How much
moisture will there be? Could I just use a low-cost (normal store

bought)

de-humidifier to make it normal humidity?

Thanks.

Like any heating device if a kerosene heater is operated and maintained
properly there is no problem using it inside for long periods of time.
A dehumidifier would certainly add cost but, depending on the brand and
etc., could be effective.

Just guessing but I imagine the amount of water to be removed won't be
more than the amount of kerosene supplied (recombining the hydrogen in
the kerosene with oxygen??). Maybe someone who understands the
chemistry involved can tell us for sure.

dennis
in nca

I am going to just use the heater for a little while, evaluate and go from
there. Thanks for the advice.

I think the kerosene combines with the oxygen in the air to some ratio, and
that is where it gets some of the water creation during burning. Either
way, I need to see just how much moisture is going to be produce before and
if I decide to get a dehumidifier.

Thanks.

Go ahead, just remember, you were warned. If you open a window or do something
else to introduce oxygen, you will not experience oxygen depletion. That's fine
for normal people, but you have a shop full of ferrous objects. When you burn
any hydrocarbon, the basic reaction is that the byproduct is water vapor. In a
shop, you HAVE to vent the kerosene exhaust completely or your machines will
rust quickly.

You have been given some marginal advice. The guy who dumped the MSDS didn't
realize that your concern isn't only safety for humans, it's also preventing
rust to your machines. Water vapor in say a bedroom is a good thing. Often in
winter the air is very dry and adding some humidity makes it feel warmer. That's
why you see those cast iron kettles on wood stoves, just to add steam to the
air. Yes, it's safe to use a clean well adjusted kerosene heater inside, but IT
WILL RUST YOUR MACHINES.

I would never ever trust a dehumidifier. Not for one millisecond. Trust a chimney.

GWE