Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate

Default Oneway Termite

Mac
I have made hook tools and played with them a fair bit. I like them for end
grain but like george is saying, not for returning to round. On the other
hand, I seldom rough turn end grain and then dry and final turn the stuff.
Mostly, I turn a vase or whatever to finish. I think, though, if I were
getting a Termite, I would buy the ring and make the handle and shaft.
By the way, there is a not inconsiderable learning curve to one of these
things. Set the tool rest a little high so the tool is angled down below
center, set the hook at about 8:30, set your speed slow, and be ready for a
great catch, especially when you hit your first knot. It is a lot of fun.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate