spitfire2

Default The British and shopping cart technology

Lewis Hartswick wrote:

clare, @, snyder.on, .ca wrote:

Never heard of NIH Syndrome?? It is epidemic in England and some other
areas of Europe. Full name? Not Invented Here. Have a duece of a time
getting a Limey manufacturer to adopt an American design. Have to have
the company bought by the Germans, Americans or Japs before it would
be possible. (Like Rolls, Rover, Bentley, Jag, Aston Martin, et al)

There is quite a bit of NIH in the US auto industry. Any one but me
remember when
rectangular head lamps came out in europe. I believe (at least first I
saw) on Citroen
and the US mfgrs had laws pased to make them illegal. I think it also
took quite a
few years to get steel belted radials accepted also. It reminded me of
the Russian
claims that radio and all sorts of things were "invented" there.
Just a touch of xenophobia I'm thinking. :-)
...lew...

We and the French designed and built the Concorde, while the Russians
had a stab at the same thing, but the poor Yanks, with all their money
and loud mouths, gave up, and then did their damndest to prevent
Concorde operating into the USA! Talk about sour grapes!
A little earlier, we GAVE the Yanks the know-how to build the first
atomic bomb, free.
We also gave them radar, and many other things, but all we get now in
return is sneering from present-day ignoramuses..
WE don't erect barriers to foreign ownership of companies, unlike the
USA, nor barriers against foreign companies existing and operating here.
Buying and selling companies is little to do with their quality and
effectiveness in production, but only to do with the ability of someone
to pay enough to take them over. It is better for a company to be taken
over by another and continue in existence and production, than for it to
go to the wall. Where is Pan-Am today? etc....None of our companies have
been taken over by the "Japs". We DO have Japanese companies having
plants of their own in Britain, just as we have plants from most other
countries of the world, even the from the USA! Only a few British
companies have been taken over by American ones.We own companies
throughout Europe, and European countries own companies here - nothing
unusual in that. Its only with the USA that anyone has problems! Why
should we or any other country need to adopt an American desgn, when
most countries of the world are fully capable of designing things for
themselves.

Dave. .