Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce Barnett

Default Buying USA?

Greg writes:

But China is a cesspool of pollution, oppression, and exploitation.
People argue that China will ultimately buy products from the US, but
it isn't likely.

They may buy products from the US, but I don't expect them to be big
importers of finished gooods.

China is one of the companies that ignores patent laws. If they can
make a cheaper product that is an exact copy of a US product they will
do so.

The number 1 car in China is a copy of a GM car that is so accurate a
clone, it has the same bugs.

The labor is going overseas. Our technology is going overseas as
well. Our colleges are filled with students from other countries who
take our technology and use it in their countries.

US is turning into a country that provides services, and raw
materials, and not primarily a country exporting finished goods.

And most of the services we provide are available elsewhere for a
cheaper price.

We still have strength in the entertainment business, but companies
like Sony are trying to increase share there as well. Sony is not
doing well. The WSJ was talking about the CEO being ousted because
their last big hit movie was "Hitch," while they have
mega-blockbusters that flopped. And now this scandal with the Sony
Virus on the music CD's.

But the edge the US has in the global market is not that great.
College graduates are having a hard time finding jobs.
I'm concerned for the future of the US youth.