Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

Default OT Browser

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 23:56:27 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
Richard quickly quoth:

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 20:03:48 -0800, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote:
"Jon Danniken" quickly quoth:
"Larry Jaques" wrote:
, "Jon Danniken" quickly quoth:

According to your "data", because I don't use Norton and use IE and OE

Well, for one thing my news server (news.individual.net) is a text only
affair, but even still, just downloading something isn't the problem.
Running executables from an unknown source is what causes infections. For
another thing, I set OE with high security, since I only use it for text
anyway (or maybe images sometimes).

Jon.

Hmmm. I seem to remember that the KAK worm was transmitted through
Email, also it's written in HTML, which OE happily accepts without
question, and launches when you open that email. Doesn't even ask you
about it. But, if you're happy with Ie and OE, have at them. I like
being able to say what my box does and doesn't do.

I don't like IE but have to use it for several sites, such as my
banks. FIDIOTS, they. And I couldn't use my older copy of Eudora
when I moved up here and started using Starband. It wouldn't work
and the techies there said it couldn't work, so I fell back to OE.
I immediately turned off the preview function which automatically
opened every single email.

But then, with email, I've settled on what I call a "reverse
killfile", if your name isn't on the list, into the bit bucket and
I'll never know it was sent. The Yahoo addy that came with SBC global
probably has a bunch of spam in it, but I never open it anyhow, don't
care what's there.

I do business online and have to accept email from strangers far too
often. But turning off the preview function in OE worked. Now if there
is any question as to the validity of the email, I view it as text
first. NAV is there to back me up if I accidentally open one, as
happens if I don't look through the new email list before opening
mail. If I delete the viewed message, it automatically opens the next
one in the queue. Thankfully, the anti-virus program catches those few
slipups immediately.

I've had a love/hate relationship with NAV since the day I installed
it. There was a virus on my computer which went into effect the second
NAV was installed, forcing me to get onto another computer to download
the fix. I lost all use of my computer for 3 days whenthat happened.

And I used to suggest McAfee for clients back in the days of BBSes.
Then I had a client with a problem and couldn't get a response from
them for a week and told them I'd never put their program on another
computer.

So, what else is out there that people trust for killing virii?

--
The Smart Person learns from his mistakes.
The Wise Person learns from the mistakes of others.