Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg G.

Default Buying USA?

evodawg said:

After spending sometime shopping this weekend, (which I hate) I'm finding
out that nothing is made in the USA anymore. Most is made in China.

At the risk of repeating comments and opinion I have expressed since
1995, you can bet that a portion of the money pouring into mainland
China IS being used for military buildup and engineering. And for the
acquisition of financial power as well. Buying up stumbling American
companies, with their names and reputations is de rigueur for most
foreign investors.

And as recently as, oh... say... Bush's visit last month, they have
openly declared that an autonomous Taiwan is currently being
"tolerated" by the current PRC government - barring a complete
make-over of the current government, it's only a matter of time before
an attempt to "re-integrate" Taiwan is made.

The Chinese name for the region is Zhongguo, which roughly translates
from Mandarin into "Center Country", and represents their view that
China stands at the center of that society's known world, surrounded
by menial tributary states.

Lest you perceive this as a slam against the Chinese people, it's not.
They are no different than the population of any nation - they want to
eat, be sheltered, and be free to live out their lives peacefully.

But China is a cesspool of pollution, oppression, and exploitation.
People argue that China will ultimately buy products from the US, but
it isn't likely. The government promotes internal policies that
promote the development of competing technologies, even if, and
especially for, for internal use. DVD formats, computer software are
two examples. As their abilities and capabilities evolve, they will
be producing their own cars, their own planes and their own military
weapons. Besides, what the hell do we make anymore?
The only thing China wants from the US is money - as much as possible.
When they do buy technology, it is to reverse engineer and copy.
They are the Apprentice who steals your tools and your customers.
China does not want to participate in a world economy, they want to
build an empire. "Patience, grasshopper. We've been around 8000
years, and can wait a few more..." Fraught by centuries of
vacillating Warlord and Imperialist rule, civil war and oppression,
China isn't likely to turn over a new leaf so easily. Those that
truly believe we aren't holding a tiger by the tail are fools, and
those that deny it are avaricious liars - IMHO.

There are those that argue that, in the long run, it doesn't matter
what the origin of a product: "Products are imported and sold, with
the majority of the profit being retained in the U.S."
The _rest_ of the sentence should include " - by the moneychangers."
The oft decried many-headed hydra of banking and money hoarders.

A pair of jeans manufactured in the USA cost $12.00 in 1995. They
were constructed of US made fabric and YKK zippers from Macon, Ga.
In 1998, the cost was $12.95 and they were imported from China.
The fabric, the zippers, and the seamster's labor. What's the
difference, you ask? The US goods are still going strong, and the
newer Chinese replacements have already fallen apart. This scenario
is realized every single day of my life. It is false economy. But...

The big-box retailer is now paying $3.20 per pair, instead of $6.85.
Did they give their employees pay raises or heath care coverage with
the added income? Hardly...

Do you honestly believe that monolithic corporations, now or ever, pay
their employees more, or treat them better, simply because they are
making more money on imported products? Hardly - in fact, quite the
opposite case can be made. As demonstrated by the incompetence
demonstrated by the employee involved in the Wal-Mart/GAF debacle.

Wait, I can hear you now: "He was an exception, an aberration. Most
managers are polite, competent, and interested in good public
relations." If you think this is true, I'd _really_ like to know what
universe you're living in.

Maybe if that mgr made more than $22,000 a year for a 10 hour a day,
6 day week job, he might adjust his attitude. Instead of constantly
thinking about some other pipe-dream job where he actually makes
enough money to feed and cloth the kids, pay taxes, pay for home heat
and the obligatory automobile - with it's additional rising costs of
fuel and insurance, tags, taxes, and maintenance - he might actually
concentrate on job performance. Those jobs are whipping posts (with
apologies to the Allman Brothers). Restaurants, retail, hotel
management - hmm... all jobs in the Service Industry - our big hope
for the economic future. Sure there are exceptions, those primarily
being exemplified by businesses that cater to the rich, but in
general, Service Economy jobs suck - plain and simple.

Is most of this stuff manufactured in China and their name stamped on
it? So you're really getting the samething only with different names?

Generally, if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

Does Lee Valley or others as an example sell more made in the USA products

Probably, and additionally, they mark the country of origin in their
catalog. That is one reason I shop there. I want to make my own
choices as to what products I purchase and where they originate.

For me, it's not as much a question of whether a product is imported
or not as it is one that begs to differentiate between whether a
product was produced by a civilized country that occupies a
responsible place at the table of world order. Does it provide it's
citizens a just and prosperous life, and do they compete with other
nations on a level playing field. China fails both of those criteria.

Just a little concerned about all this $$$$ going to China and our
politicians and retail manufactures promoting this idea. Is National
Security an issue? Not to mention all the jobs lost to this practice.

Uhh... it's been going on for at least a decade - you've just noticed?

ZZZZzzzzzzzz,,, click. Tick, tick, tick...

FWIW, JMHO, etc.

Greg G.