Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Moiarty

Default Differences between paint thinner and mineral spirits...

Informative link. But nothing that should come as a shock or surprise to
anyone. I've known since I was a kid, in my grade 7 industrial ed. class,
that hydrocarbon solvents of all kinds are neurotoxic. I recall how back
then a couple of the rebellious "cool" kids would sniff paint thinner, even
lacquer thinner, during class to get high. Fortunately for them, their
interest in this activity soon tapered off. But 35 years later, both are
alive and well, mentally and otherwise.
Read the potential health hazards of any substance (medication side
effects are a prime example) and you'll come away with the impression that
the stuff shouldn't be permitted to even exist. Occasional use of Tylenol,
for example, can cause permanent liver damage. This side effect is rare.
But it gets full mention in professional pharmacy and safety-data reference
texts nonetheless.
Ironically, one substance 'nobody' usually thinks of as seriously toxic
is the solvent, ethyl alcohol. This ubiquitous "beverage" alcohol is
neurotoxic, hepatotoxic, nephrotoxic, etc...etc... Exposure to human or
animal biological systems should be strictly controlled and limited. If the
high standard applied to other hazardous substances was extended to alcohol,
it would be strongly advised to avoid exposure (i.e. ingestion) of this
hazardous substance.
Hey guys! Let's say we meet at the bar and have a quick snort of
mineral spirits? Well not quite. Just kidding. ;-) Couldn't resist the
comparison though.

Ken

"buffalobill" wrote in message
oups.com...
http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov...ds&id=16009013

read the MSDS and you'll opt for latex paint...