Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Jackson

Default Buying USA?

Another point in case....
I bought and remodeled a 1965 Airstream this summer. What a joy to see
EVERYTHING on it was made in the USA, in fact most everything (including the
manufacturer) was made right here in Ohio. I know the mechanicals were well
built, as everything was original and still worked. Heck, the air
conditioner still blew cold air after 40 years! I did decide to replace
most things simply to save weight, space and to hopefully prevent anything
from breaking down while miles from home, but sadly very little new OEM
stuff around, so most everyhting is stamped "Made in China". However, all
the the cabinets I rebuilt still are *real* American walnut...I take comfort
in that at least.
On another note, I really enjoy reading older (70's and 80's) issues of
Fine Woodworking. It's kinda alarming when you really see how much was made
in the USA as little as 20-30 years ago. Imports were cheaper, knock-offs
and were boldly listed as "Imported". Back then "Made in the USA" was
common place. Today, "made in China" is common place, and the few things
made here have a big bold sticker you can't miss to tell you so. --dave

.."evodawg" wrote in message
newsWllf.1782$EB3.327@trnddc09...
Dave Hinz wrote:

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 10:37:52 -0800, Teamcasa wrote:
What kind of car/truck do you own?
Dave

1-F-250 pick up
3-F-350 Flatbeds
1-F-800 Telsta T-40 Bucket Truck
1 "69" Chevelle
1 05 Mustang

Well at least you own US Made trucks.

Does he? My dad's Ford, and my mom's Chevy, were both made in Canada.
I'd rather that, if a car is foreign-made, that it's honest about it,
instead of just looking like it's American.

I do know that most USA built cars/trucks have parts built in Mexico,
Canada
and even Japan. Most are at least assembled in the US, some in Canada. I
know for a FACT my 69 Chevelle, parts and assembled in the US. I'm really
proud of this car, if your interested in seeing it I will post a pic on
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"