Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Default Need to heat a 2 stall garage.

First off - never use gasoline etc in a wood stove. It isn't needed.
2. Choke the air - damper in the exhaust pipe or air inlet if you have a port.

If you get a stove pipe fire - you have to starve it of oxygen by shutting
everything closed you can and wait it out. If you open the door then
fire will spit out the pipe and you might have an explosion.

Adding oil based fuel can increase the burn rate to a dangerous and explosive condition.

Maritn

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

* wrote:
Rex B wrote in article

knowone wrote:

CHEAP: Vogelzang wood-burning, two barrel stove - tractor supply.

Lots and

lots of heat. $40.00 or so.

I have something similar, though homemade and one barrel only. It is the
primary heat for my 1000 sf shop, steel building. I feed it all the
scrap wood I would not burn at home, plus shop waste paper, oily paper
towels etc. Puts out lots of heat, but it does consume fuel and
requires some attention. I'm looking at converting it to waste-oil.

Question......

How does one shut a wood stove off after spilling gasoline - or similarly
flammable liquid???

Even those little propane "mushroom" heaters glow for a bit after shutting
them off - enough time to ignite vapors near the floor.

I have a furnace shutoff at my up-to-code furnace at the front of the shop,
AND on the main panel - which is on the way out the shop door near the rear
of the shop.

It is bad ebough to lose an entire shop due to stupidity and false economy,
but when the insurance adjuster laughs in you face - rejecting your claim
due to some Rube Goldberg setup - it is even worse.

Used, up-to-code, serviceable hot-air furnaces are not hard to find.