Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Danniken

Default OT Browser

"Larry Jaques" wrote:
"Jon Danniken" quickly quoth:
"Larry Jaques" wrote:
, "Jon Danniken" quickly quoth:

According to your "data", because I don't use Norton and use IE and OE

should be flooded with worms and virii, but as is the case, I am not,

nor
have I *ever* had a virus or worm infect any of my various boxes over

the
last five years with IE and OE. How do you explain that, Richard?

Hasn't AVG been catching all of them for you?

Nope, I don't leave AVG running in the background. The only time I use
antiviral software is to check a specific file that I have downloaded

from
the net, and then I shut it off.

I do leave a firewall (ZA) running, though.

That helps a bit, but what about downloads embedded in News posts?

Well, for one thing my news server (news.individual.net) is a text only
affair, but even still, just downloading something isn't the problem.
Running executables from an unknown source is what causes infections. For
another thing, I set OE with high security, since I only use it for text
anyway (or maybe images sometimes).

Jon.