Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Unknown

Default OT Browser

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 23:09:30 GMT, Gunner Asch
wrote:

,;On 5 Dec 2005 22:15:36 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:
,;
,;On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 16:13:02 -0600, Richard wrote:
,; On 5 Dec 2005 21:15:11 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:
,;
,;Yes. The former is easier to use. When I'm cleaning systems for
,;people, I use both, and a few extras.
,;
,; Had both of thiem installed for years now. Spybot generally stops
,; most things, AdAware cleans out the tracking cookied quite nicely,
,; plus the little MRU things that windoze puts in your machine.
,;
,;Yup.
,;
,; Linux would be the ideal answer, but the last time I tried to set up
,; internet access, I botched it completely, that's for when I have a
,; separate box I can use for Linux again. When it's up and running,
,; move this one, better yet, put Linux in this one and trash XP. I have
,; another box with win(lose)2k that I reserve for those backward
,; developers that only scribble for windoze.
,;
,;Try one of the "Live CD" linux distributions. Ubuntu has a great one.
,;Stick the CD in your drive, reboot the system, you're in a linux system
,;running off the CD. You can see the state of the OS, without doing a
,;thing to your Windows installation. Take out the CD, reboot again, and
,;you're back to your untouched Windows installation.
,;
,;
,;www.knoppix.org
,;
,;Its quite good.
,;
,;www.mepis.org is very good. Ive got an early distro installed on a
,;spare box and am using it as a server. Ive modified the box serveral
,;times, and am having an issue with the browsers understanding Im
,;actually on line.
,;
,;The modem will dial, log in and just sit there. When I installed a
,;proxy server on my personal machine..and set up the proxy values..it
,;goes on line very well. Just not via the modem (s)
,;
,;Ill do a full reinstall maybe tonight or next weekend and see if there
,;is an improvement.
,;
,;Ubunto is supposed to be very very good..but you have to install it on
,;a seperate machine..as it installes itself completly..including
,;formating your drives, as I understand it. I may be wrong with the
,;latest distro.

If you meant Ubuntu you are wrong. It runs from the CD without
installing.
,;
,;Gunner
,;
,;"Pax Americana is a philosophy. Hardly an empire.
,;Making sure other people play nice and dont kill each other (and us)
,;off in job lots is hardly empire building, particularly when you give
,;them self determination under "play nice" rules.
,;
,;Think of it as having your older brother knock the **** out of you
,;for torturing the cat." Gunner