Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pyotr filipivich

Default fixing Mitutoyo Dial Calipers?

Greetings and Salutation

My 8 inch caliper has a problem, the little plastic doohickey which keeps
the dial from turning, is broke. Kind of distressing to discover that the
dial moves easily, thus "changing" the reading, and I've only got .005 to
play with. (Nerts, but that's another story)
I thought of borrowing a number 75 drill and putting a couple pins in
it (the weld shop being out of plastic rod), but Carlin left those at home.
So does anyone have any suggestions for replacing what looks to be a small
L shaped piece of ABS (or other) black plastic?

I like this one, and aside from the broken thingy, it is most
excellent. Unlike the 6 inch, which I discovered can "flex" .004 when I
push it tight against the zero (or anything else.)

anyway, thanks for any advice.

tschus
pyotr

p.s. Maybe I can put in a request to Engineering and have them write the
program to mill one. I'd be willing to run it after hours...

--
pyotr filipivich.