Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pyotr filipivich

Default fixing Mitutoyo Dial Calipers?

Greetings and Salutation

My 8 inch caliper has a problem, the little plastic doohickey which keeps
the dial from turning, is broke. Kind of distressing to discover that the
dial moves easily, thus "changing" the reading, and I've only got .005 to
play with. (Nerts, but that's another story)
I thought of borrowing a number 75 drill and putting a couple pins in
it (the weld shop being out of plastic rod), but Carlin left those at home.
So does anyone have any suggestions for replacing what looks to be a small
L shaped piece of ABS (or other) black plastic?

I like this one, and aside from the broken thingy, it is most
excellent. Unlike the 6 inch, which I discovered can "flex" .004 when I
push it tight against the zero (or anything else.)

anyway, thanks for any advice.

tschus
pyotr

p.s. Maybe I can put in a request to Engineering and have them write the
program to mill one. I'd be willing to run it after hours...

--
pyotr filipivich.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , pyotr filipivich
says...

So does anyone have any suggestions for replacing what looks to be a small
L shaped piece of ABS (or other) black plastic?

I've been known to cut out a bit of vespel and whittle it into
shape under a microscope on some occasions. You don't need
high precision for this part. Another option is to start scrounging
around until you find a plastic part close to 'near net' size
that you can modify.

And then there's the other option: if it moves, and it's not
supposed to - use the duct tape.

Jim

please reply to:
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Martin

pyotr filipivich wrote:
Greetings and Salutation

My 8 inch caliper has a problem, the little plastic doohickey which keeps
the dial from turning, is broke

Rather than go to all the trouble to make a small part like that,
wouldn't it make sense just to get a new one from Mitutoyo?

John Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

John Martin wrote:

wouldn't it make sense just to get a new one from Mitutoyo?

.... or get that lever as a replacement part. I bet Mitutoyo have a
decent service.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models