Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Name

Default Need to heat a 2 stall garage.

"RoyJ" wrote in message
. net...
The calc is 3.54 BTU's per watt. 1500 watts is 5300 BTU's per hour.
Pretty whimpy. Your new kerosene heater is around 4x more.

Cracking the door "should" be good enough, you will still get fumes as
well as the potential for CO.

Thank you for the conversion factor.

Would cracking the attic door (the folding ladder type) let all the heat out
too quick, or would that be a good way to vent the area??

Thanks.

Name wrote:
"Taunt" wrote in message

It's getting a little chilli in the garage and need to buy a heater.

Pros and cons?

Propane?
Kerosene?
Oil filled electric?

TIA, Jack

My garage is attached to the house, and it is 20 ft. by 20 ft.

There is
one large garage door, no windows and the only door is to get into the
house. The ceiling is about 8 feet high. I put 6.5" fiberglass sheet
insulation above the ceiling, except for the walk up ramp in the ceiling
(like the one on Mork & Mindy).
Last week, I borrowed an oil filled heater to test it. It is one of
those with a 900 watt switch and a 600 watt switch for a total of 1,500
watts. The heater didn't list a BTU value, but other similar ones list
5,000 BTU's. They are around $50 MSRP. It was 52 degrees at 12AM, 54
degrees at 1AM and it only got up to 57 degrees by 3AM. It is just not

good
enough.
I bought a $118 Wal-Mart kerosene heater this week. It is listed as
23,000 BTU's. It looks just like the ones at Lowe's and Home Depot,

just
less expensive. I am going to use it this week. For safety's sake

first
and keeping heat in the garage second, what tips would you guys

recommend?
I was planning to occasionally open the garage door about an inch for a
short period of time, as well as open the door going into the house some

as
well. That would be in addition to going in for food, drink, etc.

Would a
ceiling fan help to properly disperse the heat? Several people said

heat
rises and stays up toward the ceiling, so I am wondering if that could

be
used to blow it back down toward the floor??

Thanks.