Posted to rec.woodworking
George

Default Newbie Question - Getting sawdust off/out of the wood

"Luigi Zanasi" wrote in message
On 5 Dec 2005 04:58:23 -0800, scribbled:

I was just having a quick re-read of all the replies here. I'm a
little confused, now, about the use of water -- I thought you *had* to
use it to raise the grain at some point in the finishing process. But
-- it's almost sounding as if you only need to do that if you are about
to apply a water-based finish (which I'm not). Is that correct?

Yes. If you don't deliberately do it before, water-based finishes will
raise the grain.

With oil-based products do you just use mineral spirits?

Oil-based products do not raise the gain, so there is no need to raise
to do it.

Though you'd still be wise to do it. If nothing else, it highlights loose
glue and sanding faults to give you a second chance.