ATP

Default Value of pristine Lodge & Shipley Lathe

John wrote:
Grant Erwin wrote:

The difference between 2 years ago and today as far as value of
used machinery is huge. The market done collapsed. At least up
here in the Seattle area, where there used to be about 2500 shops
and there are now about 800. All since 9/11/01.

If I were buying this lathe, I would consider that it is far too
large for most home shop guys, and that most turning in this
country is now done on CNC machines. And I would consider your
seller too - you can't "tear it" with him. Plus your locale plays
a big factor too. I would certainly think an offer in the $3000
range would be indicated at least to start.

"Trans gears" sounds like it doesn't have a quick change gearbox -
that is a big minus as far as value.

Doesn't have a quickchange toolpost either, only rocker types which
are virtually obsolete.

The toolpost grinder could be a big plus but if they did a lot of
grinding it could also mean a lot of wear from grinding grit.

What the heck is a 2 speed tailstock anyway?

Grant Erwin

Having the rocker tool post is the only disadvantage to the lathe but
you can see a quick change sold on Ebay for about 500 with some tool
holders. If you are drilling holes with a two speed tailstock you'll
know the difference. You can shift the gears in the tailstock for a
higher ratio for driving a big drill. I think that machine may have a
device to drag the tail stock with the carriage and also a stop for
the tailstock for heavy drilling. The stop ratchets down into the
bed for a positive lock of the tailstock. That lathe will be stiff
enough for hard turning and accurate enough so you wouldn't normally
use the toolpost grinder with all the grit that goes with it.
18x54 is just the right size for a home shop. The rule is that the
next job you want to do is a little to large for the lathe you have.
Most things bigger than 54 in. will need a crane to set.

John

Hey, but cranes are cheap now too, so what the hell? Unfortunately the
village will not allow me to have a crane in my backyard- even the Bobcat I
have to hide. The rollers I just picked up were turned on a big lathe- they
are about 7 feet long end to end, they have almost 5 feet of 12" diameter
cylinder, then they welded a shaft on each end and turned the whole thing.