Steve Lusardi

Default Value of pristine Lodge & Shipley Lathe

Grant,
This machine is a true "Cadillac" its gearbox supports treads from 1 tpi to
256 tpi and it also supports a myriad of leads (unique pitches), like
diametrical pitches for creating gear Hobbs etc. The change gears I
mentioned does the entire metric gambit as well. The 2 ratio tailstock is
1:1 and 5:1 for driving big drills.
Steve

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
The difference between 2 years ago and today as far as value of
used machinery is huge. The market done collapsed. At least up
here in the Seattle area, where there used to be about 2500 shops
and there are now about 800. All since 9/11/01.

If I were buying this lathe, I would consider that it is far too
large for most home shop guys, and that most turning in this
country is now done on CNC machines. And I would consider your
seller too - you can't "tear it" with him. Plus your locale plays
a big factor too. I would certainly think an offer in the $3000
range would be indicated at least to start.

"Trans gears" sounds like it doesn't have a quick change gearbox -
that is a big minus as far as value.

Doesn't have a quickchange toolpost either, only rocker types which
are virtually obsolete.

The toolpost grinder could be a big plus but if they did a lot of
grinding it could also mean a lot of wear from grinding grit.

What the heck is a 2 speed tailstock anyway?

Grant Erwin

Jon Elson wrote:

Steve Lusardi wrote:

I have an opportunity to obtain a pristine Lodge & Shipley Lathe,
Model 1610
Power Turn, 18" x 54", it is 11 ft long, 5 ft deep, with taper
attachment,
steady rest, follower rest, 2 speed tail stock, 12" 3 jaw chuck, 16" 4
jaw
chuck, 14" 4 jaw chuck, Jacobs chuck with collets, trans gears, tool

post
grinder (external) and a slew of rocker tool posts and holders. This
machine
was manufactured '69. Never used in a production environment, only in a
maintenance capacity in a print shop. The only fault on this machine
is some
dings in the original paint! No rust and no wear anywhere! This machine
weighs 9,000 lbs and it has all the original paperwork and manuals. I
know
the value of smaller machines, but with this I have no clue.
Obviously, this
is not your garden variety home machine, but I do not intend to let
this go.
This machine is equipped with a 10 HP 3ph motor and an English lead
screw.
This lathe will cut from 1 TPI to 256 TPI .Please help with your best
guess
of current market value.
Steve

Our shop at work got at least $7000 for a well-used LeBlond Toolroom
Precision
13" lathe a couple of years ago. This had hardened ways, so it was
still in VERY
good condition. Although it has only a 13" swing, is was a VERY heavy
lathe, about 7000 Lbs or so.

It sounds like the one you are looking at is even nicer!

Jon