Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Default high level cold water tank in loft

On 5 Dec 2005 12:27:04 -0800, wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 16:46:39 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"NikV" wrote in message
Hi
I've got to gain space in our small bedroom so I want to put the hot water
tank in the loft, how high above the top of the hot water tank should the
water surface of the cold water tank be. Has anybody got any links to
sites
with cold water tanks which will fit high up in the ridge - I've googled
but
can't find anything.
Any advice welcome - ps can't afford to change from the current open
vented
system ATM

Have the kitchen tap off the mains. For the hot and cold water for the rest
of the house use one of these, as it fits nicely in the loft.
http://www.rcmgroup.co.uk/specialize...ower/index.htm
You can take the shower off it The cold taps can be taken off it and the
hot taps too giving good mixing at the basins and bath. It is heated from a
normal system boiler.

Are you certain about that?

There are no mention of boiler connections and none are shown....

I have used one of these combi cylinders and a combi boiler for only
shower use. Worked a treat. Easy and quick to install as the cylinder
was all one unit being fitted in the loft. The cold mains pipe could
not supply a full mains pressure system, yet could do a very good
shower. I used a W-B Junior combi boiler, also in the loft, on the end
gable wall. A great solution I got from IMM here two or three years
ago.

This doesn't surprise me in the least. I am surprised that it took
you so long to chime in with support for your brother's inappropriate
proposal.

I always look at combis as the first option for obvious reasons,

A combi is not " a first option for obvious reasons for every
situation".

then a
Rinnai multi-point and system boiler, then the combi cylinder and combi
boiler method, then a thermal store. Megaflows require a plumber with
an unvented ticket and that is out for me.

IMM mentioned a 76 KW combi. This would solve many of my problems even
if a larger meter was installed. Cost considerations of course. I have
noticed that 40 KW is about the largest combi power rating, which is
not that great on flowrate, then a big jump to 76 KW. Anyone know of a
55KW combi? That would be ideal if the flow rate is around 25 litres a
minute. The only way to fill this gap to get the flow rates is install
two combis, which I did about 4 or 5 years ago, again using W-B
Juniors, and one since.

This has been one of his standard solutions.

You can calculate what the flow rate is.

It is defined by mass, specific heat and temperature rise. That's it.
Anything in excess of that is defined by the size of any store. That's
also it.

There is no sleight of hand or oofle dust in any of this.

--

..andy