Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Taunt

Default Need to heat a 2 stall garage.

mlcorson wrote:
Jack:
I just went through this in my 20' x20' single door detached garage,
that I share with the lawn furniture. I have drywalled the ceiling its
about 7'6". There is kind of an attic up there and I added minimal
insulation. I just bought a "contactors 240V 3000/4000 watts 16 amps
electric heater from Grainger for $115 or so. Has to run most of time
in cold weather to keep it warm. I'll eventually find a ng vented unit
to place on the ceiling in the corner. Gas would be more efficient in
the long run. I was concerned about the change in temp causing my lathe
and mill to condense moisture and rust. Anyway, that size unit seems to
do the trick for me. I looked at infrared unit about the same wattage,
but figured the head clearance was insufficient. Still might add an
110v infrared, because my 240 is maxed out a 16 amps. Got an extra 110v
I can spare. Good Luck,
Mike

Venting is important, because moisture is a by-product of any of the
gases burning.

Mike,

Thanks, I hadn't thought about the moisture problem.
Ron, a friend of mine, uses a 110v oil heater (radiator) in a one stall
garage and it seems to work OK (just ok). I need to call and ask him
about his electric bill when using it.

I thought I'd ask the group before buying.

Thanks, Jack

P.S. The cold season around here doesn't last too long. Last night it
got down to 20 degrees with a high today of 37 degrees. I quess I could
dress warmer...........